"the days of the whitewash and the brainwash have gone forever"

 
epub or mobi, with thanks to the original sharer

One thing she detested was a hippie girl. When she considered the amount of jobs Ian’s lot pulled to get the necessary loot to buy gear and keep up appearances she couldn’t begin to understand the hippie outlook, the hippie desire to walk around in soiled clothing, to stay unwashed, to have their long hair matted with lice and dirt …
Ian’s hand pressed Joan’s mouth down on Valerie’s. "Go ahead ... make it!"
As she tasted the hippie girl’s lips on hers, Joan felt a shudder of revulsion. The subtle heat of those anticipatory thighs surging against hers drove her crazy. She struggled against the other’s arms enfolding her. Joan wanted to die!
"Crissakes ..." Ian’s rasped expletive ripped through Joan’s mind. She could visualise him bending over them, peering and enjoying what he hoped would happen next. The memory of ineffectual matings blasted holes in the fabric of their relationship and she suddenly wanted to run ... anywhere ... get away ... escape this degenerate scene! Joan writhed, her knee driving hard into the other girl’s vulnerable region. Joan slammed a fist into Ian’s nose and sprang to her feet. Valerie lay clutching her crotch. Ian above with a small trickle of blood oozing from one nostril. 
"Pervert!" Joan yelled and took off. Her mind boiled as she ran. Was she? Wasn’t she? The heat of the hippie girl’s body against hers had been delectable ... only Ian’s entreaties had shattered the hiatus. She stumbled into a caff, then trembled with the menu held at arm’s length as a sullen waitress came forward to take her order. The words blurred ... a jumble of dishes and prices all flowing one into the other.
I’m not queer! kept running through her mind.

5 comments:

  1. "New Kind of Mambo" is so amazing!! I've just finished #13 with 40 more to go! Musical heaven - not a single bad cut so far.

    But, I keep having a question as I listen. Exactly what defines Mambo music? I can't say that I have found an answer from internet search that really makes it clear to me.

    Can anyone explain what mambo is - in easy-to-understand language that even an idiot like myself can understand?

    What qualified a song for inclusion in New Kind of Mambo series?

    Anyhow, amazing compilation. I'm so grateful for your efforts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, glad your enjoying them. I'm not exactly a musicologist myself, I put stuff on if I dig it and it sounds like it has what Jelly Roll Morton called the Spanish Tinge - 'Mambo' is just used as a catch all term for latin influence.
      50s/60s stuff uses a lot of basic Afro Cuban rhythms, e.g.:
      Habanera - as in Elvis' Hound Dog etc
      Clave - 3/2 or 2/3 - aka Bo Diddley Beat - cha-cha-cha cha-cha - Louie Louie etc etc
      Guajira - as in Hang on Sloopy, James Bond theme and on and on
      TEQUILA!
      What kickstarted the series was the work of Ned Sublette, you can read his stuff here: http://arouseyourpassion.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Sublette and I've put some MP3s of him being interviewed about Cuba, Bo Diddley, New Orleans etc for you here: http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/66473292/file.html
      all the best,
      Johnny

      Delete
  2. Hey Johnnyq. I appreciate your response. I never heard the term, "Spanish Tinge", in describing Latin music. I like it. It actually makes more sense to me than the more technical explanations.

    I'll check out the Ned Sublette links.



    Thanks again for the great Mambo. About to take a bit of a hike with an iPod and Mambo 14.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is a problem with the links for this book

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for the updates

    ReplyDelete