I had lost all sanity in the wonders of the flesh


pdf scan available over at the internet archive

"Tie yourself up, you want my kettle to boil over?"
"Let it boil over, it'll put my fire out. You lit it Friday night and it's up to you."
"People are guessing, Sharon, and they guess pretty good."
"What's a guess?"
"Trouble."
"He'd believe me if I denied it. He'd believe me because he's crazy about what he bought. I'm like the equipment he's got around here. He thinks he's going to use me forever."
"And he will."
"Want to bet?"
We had the barn to ourselves and there wouldn't be any loads coming in that day. Upstairs it would be hot, like an oven turned up too high, and there was nothing except the bales of hay and the bare floor.
"You've got me, you've got me bad and all the way. You've got me where nobody else ever had me."
"A big man like you saying that?"
"Why fight it? You're what I've got to have and I'm a man. It's more than enough."
She took my hand and we walked to the stairs. There was no reason to talk, nothing to say. Her husband was down in the fields and we were in the barn. Upstairs I broke open a bale of hay and scattered it on the floor. Collins wouldn't like that but he wouldn't like what we were going to do either. He had it coming to him, all that he could get.She was out of her things before I had finished with the hay …

No comments:

Post a Comment