I called the article "Tales
from the Drug Attic" and laid into all the lame contemporary shit that
called itself Psychedelic in 1983. Terrible retro groups were recasting themselves as replica-psyche, in response to the Howard Jones-ness of
the Like-to-Get-to-Know-You-Well '80s. But, unlike the English northern scene's
coy refusal to ever accept a tag of Psychedelia, a crass new US scene was
dubbing itself (get this!) The Paisley Underground.
These deadly obvious groups were not
pioneer music freaks, but cosy A-to-Zetros who had evidently modelled
themselves on The Byrds. I had
even bought an album called (get this again!) Emergency Third Rail Power Trip
by the greatly championed Rain Parade. With a title like
that it had to be the fastest most manic thing since Love's 'Seven and Seven
Is' ... surely ... Track 1 began at 5 mph and got stuck in cross-town
traffic even before the chorus. The vocals were by Raga Knobshiners from Hell,
occupying far too much Anglophile 'Bells of Rhimney' airspace. For the article, I decided that
my mission was to kick all these psychedelic bandwagoners into touch,
arrogantly dismissing whole chunks of '60s music as a waste of hippy time.
Instead, I focused on 1965-66 as the classic period. I loved the idea of the young
American beer-drinking Rolling Stones copyists taking acid and losing their
minds. It was so fucked up, so unintellectual and so innocent. I wrote short intense hagiographies for The Seeds,
The Misunderstood, The Chocolate Watchband and The 13th Floor Elevators,
littering the article with lies and made-up bits to pad out the paucity of real
information.

Hi, Can you recommend any other book blogs please? The ones I used to look at all seem to have been killed off over the years.
ReplyDeleteCheers Marlon
Many thanks, man!
ReplyDelete