"I'll be d----- if I ever allow another comic book in the house!"


epub or mobi, with thanks to the original sharer

A small boy who had made ample use of the reading and entertainment we provide so plentifully for children was asked what he wanted to be when he grew up. His instant reply was enthusiastic: "I want to be a sex maniac!" ... At sessions of the Hookey Club, when there were only adolescent boys present, discussions about comic books were pretty outspoken. One boy discussed Crimes by Women. "There is one that is sexy! Her legs are showing above her knees and her headlights are showing plenty!" ... a fourteen year old girl stated that "she didn't like comic books because her boy friend read them all the time and tried to make love to her as he imagined Superman would do it and she didn't like that at all." ... A typical comic-book drawing shows a blonde young girl lying in bed. She says: "Then I was dreaming, of murder and morphine." ... Comic-book stories teach violence, the advertisements provide the weapons. The stories instill a wish to be a superman, the advertisements promise to supply the means for becoming one. Comic-book heroines have super-figures; the comic-book advertisements promise to develop them. The stories display the wounds; the advertisements supply the knives. The stories feature scantily clad girls; the advertisements outfit peeping Toms.

5 comments:

  1. Cool share, thanks.

    -Xtm

    ReplyDelete
  2. This twerp was responsible for a lot of talented people losing their jobs, or being forced to put out diluted pabulum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to be off topic but do you have any more by Alexander Bacon? You put up The Lowlife awhile back & I can't find anything else by him tho' I know he wrote more. Anything else would be greatly appreciated - as is ALL the stuff you share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw geez, I meant BaRon, not Bacon... d'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. JEC,

    Sorry, I don't have any more of Baron (or Bacon)'s stuff. If anyone else does, contributions are always welcome.

    Johnny

    ReplyDelete