pdf (252 pages / 10 MB), with thanks to the original sharer
All I had going for me in the world or would ever have was that
swamp, all those goddamn mules, all those screwworms that I'd dug out of pigs and
all the other beautiful and dreadful and sorry circumstances that had made me the
grit I am and will always be. Once I realized that the way I saw the world and man's
condition in it would always be exactly and inevitably shaped by everything which
up to that moment had only shamed me, once I realized that, I was home free … I
consciously try to write the strongest beginning, whether it is an essay or a
novel or anything. I try to write the strongest beginning I can write and try
to live up to it. You know, say, "All right, boy, that fucking beginning
sings, Jack. You're from the Hell's-a-Poppin' School of Literature and that
motherfucker is exploding there." I say that to myself whether it is or
not. A writer's the worst judge of his work … I wrote a screenplay for The
Gospel Singer. See, I sold The Gospel Singer outright to Larry Spangler, and he
sold my screenplay to Tom Jones. I went to see Tom Jones, and he hit on my
wife. That was fun, hit on her while I was sitting there. Sally was beautiful
though; she's a very beautiful woman. Tom Jones hit on everything that moved.
I'm surprised that he didn't hit on me.

Interesting to get a goodly handful of windows into/onto Harry Crews.
ReplyDeleteHowever I feel that the best of windows are through Harry's eyes, Harry's words.
Still reading my way through your Crews library and relishing all.
Thank you again.
Bottleneck
Bottleneck,
ReplyDeleteYou're right, the criticism here doesn't come near the value in reading his own work. Included is a couple of chapters of a "work in progress" by Crews, & also an interview.
I still have a few more of his books to post & will do so in the next week or so.
all the best,
Johnny
I'm glad to hear even more Crews is on the way. Many thanks. He's a great writer who has been sadly overlooked for too long a time.
ReplyDeleteGod! What a find! I noticed a link for the Harry Crews article at Twilight Zone. Fuck am I glad I clicked. I've got the majority of Crew's stuff, but EVERYTHING ELSE...its like everything I ever wanted from the literary sub culture. It really was meeting of minds. Can't thank you enough, but you've just shut down my social calendar while I get through all the material I want to devour from here. Buuuut, I've got one "beg"...have you got "Madonna at ringside "? Can't afford the asking price! Either way THANK YOU!
ReplyDeletemalenka2000
pallasenka60@gmail.com
malenka2000-
ReplyDeleteGlad you like the blog.
Unfortunately I don't have 'Madonna...', but maybe another reader can help out with that one?
Like I said above, I have a few more Crews titles to post, but I don't have paper copies myself and am looking for decent cover scans to use - maybe you could help??
Am always open for contributions, recommendations, requests etc
all the best,
Johnny
No probs...just tell me what you're uploading & I'll check
ReplyDeleteMalenka2000
I'm looking for covers for Feast of Snakes, Celebration, Florida Frenzy, & Where Does One Go? If you could help with any of these that would be great.
DeleteJohnny
Thanks for all the Crews and your fantastic blog!!
ReplyDelete