'Get the fuck away from me. I never heard of such shit.'

 

She had no expectation of making herself acceptable then, and her contempt for those who tried to conform was profound. Later in life her income would have enabled her to live in style with other successful black entertainers on Long Island, but she had no desire to join them. The black word for those who took on a white style of life was dirty, and Bessie never used the word without dislike. In turn, successful blacks disliked Bessie, because they felt her behaviour endangered their own image of themselves. The crudity of her language, and the unpredictability of her moods, made her seem like a part of the street life they wanted to forget. Bessie continued to enjoy that life: its food, its home-made liquor and its uninhibited parties. Essentially, she was refusing to acknowledge the class system the blacks had set up which put the white world at the unreachable top of the tree. She knew it was a system which had rejected her once and for all when she was thrown out of the chorus line for having too dark a skin. 

10 comments:

  1. I've only recently found your blog and you've got some astonishing stuff on it. My iPod touch finally has some interesting reading matter on it! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is utterly amazing. Thank you so much for all the hard work. You have impeccable taste in books, sir. Wilf, Hove, UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woody & Wilf
    Thanks for the comments, glad you dig it.
    all the best,
    Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johnny. You're the greatest. The work you put into this blog is HUGELY appreciated. Are there any similar blogs to Arouse out there, I wonder, offering cool ebooks in mobi and epub? Thanks in advance, Wilf. ps. Most excellent to see my Cramps i/view for Zigzag in your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wilf,If you come across similar blogs, let me know. Sources for the stuff I repost is mostly a few cool books to be found on very general book/mag sites/forums (e.g http://en.bookfi.org/ , http://archive.org/details/texts etc), a few books/mags on specialised music sites, or searching on soulseek (www.slsknet.org/). Started the blog out of frustration at the limited availability of books to my taste available on the web and enthusiasm to share the piles of junk around the house before they (or I) fall apart completely. Kind've hoped it might encourage more to do the same but I guess ripping books is a lot more work than ripping CDs. Contributions are very welcome. Do you have full transcripts available of interviews that were heavily edited for publication?
    all the best,
    Johnny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Johnny. Thanks for that info. I'll try to dig out some full interview transcripts for you to use. I might also have some cuttings that could be scanned. Cheers, Jon/Wilf

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks, that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll dig some stuff out. In the meantime you're more than welcome to use this interview I did with Keith Richards. It was written for Loaded in '95 and updated with new intro in 2010 for the online magazine, Sabotage Times. Cheers.
    http://www.sabotagetimes.com/people/crossfire-hurricane-keith-richards-interviewed/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some great ePub and mobi links here...http://hotgiraffe.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete