listened to Jimmie Witherspoon grind out 'See-See Rider' on the jukebox


epub or mobi

The Duke broke in: 'I've got some good stuff for you colored rock 'n' roll singers. Colored rock 'n' roll singers. That's a laugh. Sure you boys ain't trying to go white on me? Anyway, I've got quality stuff. A five- or ten-dollar bag?'
The Duke was a fine host. Calmly, he offered Little Jimmie a brimming Malacca pipe of pot. I already had my hand out for the fat rolled joint. I lit up, inhaled deeply and thought: Happy days. Little Jimmie and I will be rock 'n' roll sensations.
The Duke elbowed me. 'Are you feeling it?' he grinned. 
'I am getting together,' I replied. Boiling with inspiration, I added: 'We could start off with a rock 'n' roll love song. Then let the sax and piano pick it up and, baby, we have at least two minutes. A record. A hit on our hands. But the time we make our first personal appearance on a TV show, we'll think of something freakish. You've gotta have something freakish about your personality or else the kids won't dig you. We gotta provide fantasy for their wet dreams.'

No comments:

Post a Comment