I loved to watch Don Wilkerson attack Fathead on the stand. It
brought out the best in both cats. When someone tries to stomp on you,
naturally you’re going to respond. And together—blowing out in front of the
band—they’d be burning up the place. I like to think I’m a half-ass composer. I
ain’t no Duke Ellington. I heard what West Coast cats were doing, and it was
good music. But my heart was really with the East Coast dudes. They were harder
cats and had a grittier sound. There was more blues in their playing, the
approach was tougher. I still hear something different about the way the cats
play back East. They’re pushier, more aggressive. They got a certain stink that
the guys in L.A. lack. I miss the filth—the East Coast filth—that you hear on
the streets and in the recording studios of New York City. When I do a song, I
must be able to make it stink in my own way; I want to foul it up so it reeks
of my manure and no one else’s.

Hello, thank you for this great post! Do you happen to have Robert Gordon "It Came From Memphis" ? Take care, Jane
ReplyDelete