Talk
about good-time urban corruption! The atmosphere was as thrilling as a James M.
Cain novel. Swing was everywhere. And we made the scene, Patty and I, from the
Reno Club, where John Hammond had scooped up Count Basie, to Dante’s Inferno,
where bottomless topless waitresses held my full attention. Here in the Wild
West, the juke joints and blues clubs were in full cry. At the Elks I heard Joe
Turner, that magnificent shouter, then a singing bartender, whom twenty-five
years later I wound up producing. The big bands were roaring: Bennie Moten’s,
led by his accordion-playing brother Bus; Andy Kirk and his Clouds of Joy;
Harlan Leonard and the Rockets. In our room at the Puritan Hotel — no lie — Patty
and I left the window open so the late-night sounds from the street, the
blistering jazz of wide-open Kansas City, would fuel the fire of our
lovemaking.

thanks, but box seems highly glitchy. i was able to download this one, but have been unsuccessful with most of the jazz and R&B bios that i'm interested in. when clicking the download links, absolutely nothing happens. the charlie parker one, as example.
ReplyDeletesorry. my mistake. the charlie parker one is good. the duke and mingus ones are examples of ones that won't download.
Deletehere's the duke:
https://app.box.com/s/q67pbjv474sw3mtwpgy3
Hi Erasmus,
DeleteWhat seems to be the issue is that free accounts with box have bandwidth limits and the older/more popular posts are on accounts which have reached that limit and are effectively dead links now. If you let me know what you're after I'll put new links up.
Meantime, here's Mingus & Duke: http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/lDppl5Nb/file.html
all the best,
Johnny
thanks a lot, johnny. here are some that appear to be dead:
Deletehttp://arouseyourpassion.blogspot.com/2014/12/his-dicty-clothes-in-zebra-patterns-set.html
http://arouseyourpassion.blogspot.com/2013/11/a-growl-strong-enough-to-scare.html
http://arouseyourpassion.blogspot.com/2014/07/it-was-first-time-wed-seen-girl-cat-who.html
http://arouseyourpassion.blogspot.com/2013/02/suck-up-little-juice-and-hear-little.html
Just put new links in those 4.
Deleteawesome. much gratitude!
ReplyDelete