he had a hit called 'The Funky Tramp,' a man making love to a gorilla


pdfs of issues 41-48, with thanks to the original sharer

T-Bone's exotic good looks had made him a babe magnet from an early age. By the time he was a teenager, he was an accomplished dancer, he did the splits while playing the banjo, and billed himself as 'the Cab Calloway of the South.' … Big Jim Wynn, impressed by his abilities as a dancer (and his ability to pick up tables with his teeth!) recruited T-Bone into the band. 'The people went mad.  He was a showman, and the white tail coats, the zoot suits, and the brilliantined process were a vital part of the mix. So too were the moves, by the time he got to his flash finale, where he would raise the guitar over his shoulders and fall into a slow split, the floor was covered with panties and money. … By the '70s T-Bone Walker was in a bad condition; drinking a bottle of gin a day. Gerard Herzhaft describes a 1970 gig in Paris: 'He staggered on stage and clowned around for a while, before being frogmarched off by Big Mama Thornton, who was equally drunk, but carrying it better.'

10 comments:

  1. These digitised mags are great! I used to pick these up in London but by the time of these issues I wasn't getting there anywhere near as often so these present lots of new reading to trawl through.
    Do you know whether anyone has digitised the old Soul fanzines like "Shout" it would be good to see them again.
    Issue 48 in this batch doesn't load-up correctly - cover appears for split second then it's a faulty B&W pic. Could you include a corrected file in the next batch please.
    Thanks for all you do in supplying the literature to go with the music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daddy,

      Re: 'Shout', I think I have some pdfs of these somewhere, I'll try & search them out & post them for you.
      Re: Issue 48, these are not my scans and I don't have the original mags to correct any pages with errors, sorry.

      all the best,
      Johnny

      Delete
    2. Johnny,
      I reckon I can live without the cover! just grateful that someone has kept the old mags and that they have been digitised for a new generation (and for some of us to catch up). I look forward to the rest of Juke Blues and Shout for the future.
      Thanks again,
      Daddy

      Delete
  2. So much great reading! What a find! Thanks once again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another amazing post....thank you for continuing to maintain my favorite site on the web!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these extraordinarily high quality content magazines are a pure joy. saving and preserving and sharing them is heroic. any other vintage music or film magazines would be superb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me guess, he made love to a gorilla and it went ape? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any chance please of re-up of this file, thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,

      Just added a new link up in the main post.
      all the best,
      Johnny

      Delete