'How can anyone live happily in Enfield?' I demanded.


'They want to be reassured that their culture is the best that has ever existed in the entire history of the world. And what that means is coming up with one-hundred and one reasons as to why Coldplay are musically superior to James Brown. It doesn't matter what I do or don't like, it's a matter of telling the kids what they want to hear and thereby ensuring that they come back for more. The opinions we profess are market led, but these might not in fact be our real opinions …' 
'What else are you proposing to teach?'
'The usual, European modernist film, the novels of Colin Macinnes, folk rock from Bert Jansch to the present, the life and times of Benny Hill, the work ...'



If the Stones based their early sound on Chuck Berry, then the Pretty Things copped their musical style from Bo Diddley, while simultaneously succeeding in making the man who inspired them sound unbelievably sophisticated.
'Well, what did you think of it?'
'It sounds like a weak version of a lot of the music I like. It was okay, but it didn't rock like Nirvana.'
'Without the Pretty Things there wouldn't have been a Nirvana or Oasis.'
'What about Coldplay?'
'I don't think you can blame that particular aberration on Dick Taylor and Phil May.'

3 comments:

  1. WOW! Another great one! Home is always a treat! Looking fordward to reading it, thanks man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am working in Enfield now. I wouldn't like to live here. looking forward to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new Stewart Home book is always welcome.... Thanks

    ReplyDelete