The Maharishi spoke of eternal happiness and
peace - he seemed for all the world a mystical, Eastern sage. But he was far from an unsophisticated hick from the Himalayas. College-educated, with
a degree in physics, he had studied Sanskrit and learned the scriptures. The
title "Maharishi" was self-adopted. In the late fifties he began to
preach his brand of mystic salvation to audiences in various Western countries.
Of all the Beach Boys, Mike Love was the most influenced by the Maharishi.
"When I heard about TM, I consciously took steps to expand my awareness ...
I didn't want to live life at the same level ... And one of the greatest things
that interested me was that he said, 'You don't have to give up your
Rolls-Royce ... and forsake all your pursuits of material pleasures ... to
develop inner spiritual qualities.' That sounded real good to me." He
managed to convince the rest of the group that it would be a good move for the
Beach Boys to tour with the Maharishi. Billed as "The Most Exciting Event of
the Decade," the shows took place in huge concert halls and stadiums. On
opening night, "more police showed up than audience." The fans were
completely uninterested in hearing the Maharishi, no one cared, which is what
everybody told Mike would happen. On a typical tour date, the Maharishi opened
with a long, boring, unintelligible lecture while the audience booed and yelled
for the Beach Boys. "The Maharishi laughed, he was laughing all the time.
He got his money."

This looks interesting to me - but for some reason links don't work (in Safari or Firefox, anyhow). I can get to the download page - but nothing happens when I click on download button. Is it just me?
ReplyDeleteAnon,
DeleteBox sets monthly bandwidth limits but they seem to have stopped displaying them on the upload page. I think it must be too many downloads from that account. Have uploaded to another account and put new links in the main post. Hopefully should be ok now, any problems just give us a shout.
all the best,
Johnny
That did the trick!! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteLove this! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteHere's a link for you (or others?) to hopefully enjoy.....Kicks mag #3...
https://mega.nz/#!eJ1x2bhQ!iYffMC9Ac3GmeEpfSFHBMMWE6BBT4pVZnequtqMWCEo