pdf, with thanks to the original sharer
Lester Bangs: Rolling Stone had flown me up
to San Francisco to check me out, since I had been writing for them for about
six months. I guess they wanted to see if I was executive timber. I guess I
wasn't, because not only did I get moved from Greil Marcus's to Langdon
Winner's house after about two days, but I thought it was as curious that they
sat around, not even smoking pot, but listening to Mother
Earth and Creedence with absolute seriousness, as they were bewildered by my
penchant for guzzling whiskey all day while blasting 'Sister Ray' at top volume
... to make a dismal story mercifully short, I discovered a magazine in Detroit
called Creem, whose staff was so crazy they even put the Stooges on the cover. Of
every issue! So I left my job and school and girlfriend and beer-drinking buddies
and moved to Detroit, where my brand of degenerate drool would be not only
tolerated but outright condoned, and over the five years I worked at Creem we
used our basic love for it to exploit the punk aesthetic and stance in just
about every way humanly possible.

it seems i am cited by name herein
ReplyDeletefor interview i did w/ verlaine, well tickle my nips!
Gosh, I despise Clinton Heylin....hope he does a better job with this than he does with all of his Dylan babblings. (even the Recording Sessions book is marred by his ridiculous editorializing....as if we can't tell what's a good Dylan song and what isn't....as if Dylan is waiting for his work to be graded by the teacher, ie Heylin).
ReplyDeleteDid this come out before or after "Please Kill Me"? That is THE book about the New York and Detroit punk scenes, hands down.