pdf, with thanks to the original sharer
You had a tune called “Double Faced Deacon.” Would you explain what that was about and the complications that went with it?
Well, back then you couldn’t talk about preachers and deacons and tell what they did. But I had seen something happen in the church that I was going to. My father at one time was assistant pastor. It was the biggest church in the area, in the Methodist Church, called Big Bethel. And I’d seen people in there arguing and fighting and stuff, going with this sister and that sister, and the pastor accused of going with this woman and that woman. And I just wrote the song, “Double Faced.” “Let me tell you about a deacon. Top hat and long-tailed coat. . . . Preach his best while winking at womenfolk. And he preached against gambling, said it was a sin and a shame. . . . Then met me in the alley, shot seven for my watch and chain.” And it just come to me like that when I’d sit down and decided to write something. They banned it. It started to hit and they banned it. They wouldn’t let them play it. They’ll play it now, but it’s old-time stuff now. That’s vintage stuff now.
Well, back then you couldn’t talk about preachers and deacons and tell what they did. But I had seen something happen in the church that I was going to. My father at one time was assistant pastor. It was the biggest church in the area, in the Methodist Church, called Big Bethel. And I’d seen people in there arguing and fighting and stuff, going with this sister and that sister, and the pastor accused of going with this woman and that woman. And I just wrote the song, “Double Faced.” “Let me tell you about a deacon. Top hat and long-tailed coat. . . . Preach his best while winking at womenfolk. And he preached against gambling, said it was a sin and a shame. . . . Then met me in the alley, shot seven for my watch and chain.” And it just come to me like that when I’d sit down and decided to write something. They banned it. It started to hit and they banned it. They wouldn’t let them play it. They’ll play it now, but it’s old-time stuff now. That’s vintage stuff now.

No comments:
Post a Comment