there
are more liquor stores, more churches, more whorehouses, more lying, more
laughter, more screwing, fighting and footracing, more numbers players, more
freeloaders, more sports, more bars, more jukeboxes, more jazz, more crime,
more chitterlings eaten, more singing and dancing, more knife-toting and
loud-mouthing, more praying and shouting, more credit-buying, more ducking and
dodging the collectors, more worrying and complaining, and with all of that
more fun to be had than in any other city in the world.
“I hear Mamie has cancer in her rectum,” some woman whispered.
“That
wouldn't surprise me, dear,” her companion whispered back.
“She's
been named correspondent in you-know-whose divorce.”
“I
know, it took place right here on this very sofa.”
“I
heard he was a homo.”
“Little
difference that makes to Mamie, as long as he is rich and white and has a
thing.”
“Don't
be too sure about the thing, dear.” Her companion laughed cattily.


Would you happen to have this one in your treasure chest? Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf by James Segrest & Mark Hoffman
ReplyDeleteJasmine,
DeleteUnfortunately I don't have that one, am looking for it myself, if I come across it I'll definitely post it here, if any other readers have it contributions are always welcome.
all the best,
Johnny