epub or mobi, with thanks to the original sharer
“He would walk
through the rural Southern black ghettos waving an old 78 and yelling, ‘Got any
old phonograph records? Buyin’ up old records!’ Occasionally, whether out of
discouragement or just ordinary insanity, he really would yell, ‘Got any old
arms or legs you’d like to sell? Buyin’ up old arms and legs!’ It’s been
suggested that one of the reasons he managed to survive unscathed from being a
conspicuously white presence in the rural black South at a time when civil
rights workers were being murdered by local police for such audacity, was
simply that white racists, if they noticed him at all, probably dismissed him
as too crazy to bother with.”
“I was seeking out mean, sadistic, aggressive, hateful, and maybe even dangerous expressions and expressers of music most cruel. The reason I liked Charley Patton and those other Delta singers so much was because they were angry, their music is ominous. Patton had a rheumatic heart and he knew that he was going to die young, which he did. In Son House you hear a lot of fear. In Skip James you hear a lot of sorrow, but also a lot of anger.… I played some of the records to the doctor and he said, ‘These guys are angry as hell.’ ”
“I was seeking out mean, sadistic, aggressive, hateful, and maybe even dangerous expressions and expressers of music most cruel. The reason I liked Charley Patton and those other Delta singers so much was because they were angry, their music is ominous. Patton had a rheumatic heart and he knew that he was going to die young, which he did. In Son House you hear a lot of fear. In Skip James you hear a lot of sorrow, but also a lot of anger.… I played some of the records to the doctor and he said, ‘These guys are angry as hell.’ ”

Thanks for the Fahey, appreciate the opportunity to read it
ReplyDelete