People had simply never heard music that would let them rip like that


pdf scan (162 pages / 80MB)

He stayed with Giorgio and Enid, and one day they came home and heard this terrible noise. It was Sonny Boy plucking a live chicken in the bath. Another time, Sonny Boy turned up for a gig at the Marquee, and he'd bought himself a bastardized version of a Savile Row suit in grey and black two-tone. He'd also bought a bowler hat and umbrella. I think he thought that with this disguise he would fit into English society - he'd obviously never fitted into American society. He also bought an imitation crocodile briefcase, in which would be nothing except harmonicas and a bottle of whisky, an idea which Keith copied. His harmonica playing didn't influence Keith that much, just the briefcase and Scotch. He would always call us his "boys", and after a particularly good night would even shed a tear. If we played in London we'd meet in the Ship in Wardour Street, and after a while this sixteen-year-old Irish girl started to appear with Sonny Boy. Sonny Boy had this thing about prostitutes; whether she was actually servicing him I doubt, as he was probably beyond active service as we know it; I think she just helped to promote his star image. No wonder he broke down and wept when his visa ran out.

1 comment:

  1. I see you've given this great band it's own label. I'll try to find more material to add to it. "Having A Rave-Up" was one of my first vinyl LP purchases way back when (all I'd heard was Heart Full Of Soul) and it turned out to be a dynamite album. It's impossible to overstate how important this band was for so many reasons.THANKS.

    ReplyDelete