"I used to be a glaring homosexual until god changed me"



Domino worked closely with trumpeter Dave Bartholomew on writing and arranging, although the partnership was not without friction. Bartholomew regarded Fats as 'a pain in the ass to record' because 'right in the middle of a take he'd say, "How do I sound?"' Furthermore Fats could not, or would not keep time and they had to run to many takes. Nonetheless, the hits came and his records were inventive. On 'Little Bee', for example, a sharp little guitar figure from Ernest McLean conspires with solid piano and arresting lyrics to grab the listener's attention: 'She's 42 in the hip, 31 in the bust, She's got big fine legs, and she knows how to strut her stuff!'

13 comments:

  1. Hi JohnnyQ, thanks for all that you do! I'm saying hello again in case you missed my note a few weeks ago...

    I'm another person looking to resurrect volumes from your old "A New Kind of Mambo" series, after a bad crash that wiped out about half of my music library.
    Fortunately I've found most of the folders in a back-up I had, and I'm slowly putting things back together - - and loving your series all over again in the process. Simply amazing stuff!!
    The ones I can't find anywhere are volume #'s 35 - 50. I'd love to have them again. Is there an easy way to get them from you? I feel like that's a lot of links for you to post, but I'd sure appreciate it. Please feel free to let me know if there's a way that's less labor-intensive for you. Drop-box or something??
    Thanks, looking forward, and Happy New Year. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Crowd,
    Many apologies, I did see your comment but with one thing & another forgot to reply. I don't know anything about drop box but my internet access/connection is too poor to make torrent or soulseek much use to anyone, so I'll put them up to zippyshare for you if you give me time.
    all the best,
    Johnny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Johnny - I didn't know you were the curator behind the "New Kind of Mambo" series as well. Makes sense....that was a KILLER series & I second the above request to repost those (with the understanding that it's a huge time commitment & the patience that goes along with that understanding!).

    And FWIW: I poked around the web looking for any kind of similar blog to AYP, and came up dry. Thanks again (and again) for keeping me (and millions more) entertained & informed....especially when its' 4 degrees out there on the mean streets of Brooklyn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 35: http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/79559223/file.html
    36: http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/26312255/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. 37: http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/94475499/file.html
    38: http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/41082714/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I JUST saw this, and I'm so excited! Zippyshare is wonderful. Thanks so much, Johnny, and *please* take your time. I'm just very pleased and relieved not to have lost this wonderful stuff forever. I'll keep checking back... All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 39: http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/51829521/file.html
    40: http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/14206166/file.html
    41: http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/94694173/file.html
    42: http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/3926510/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, yes, got 'em. You rock! Hurray again...

    ReplyDelete
  9. 43: http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/71846303/file.html
    44: http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/22860495/file.html
    45: http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/71251935/file.html
    46: http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/71431099/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice to be hearing these again, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you're welcome, will try & get the last few up in the next few days.
    all the best,
    Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  12. 47: http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/77364307/file.html
    48: http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/73952113/file.html
    49: http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/46825563/file.html
    50: http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/12806241/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Johhny! Once again, thanks for all you've done and all that you do!

    ReplyDelete