"Halt!" a sergeant approached me. "Where's your UNDERWEAR!!!"


pdf scan (132 pages/150 MB), or text only epub or mobi

They all seemed to say that I could get fat and stale. I wanted to live in an enchanted forest, you know. I wanted to be under a spell. And I saw all these people who were settling for their nice lawn, their very nice neighborhood, very nice house, you know, classy looking wife, good job and guys to boss around, political power and office. I just got a bad feeling from what I saw of bourgeois life, and I certainly didn't want to be a laborer. So I decided to gamble with music - it was the only thing that was really fun to do - to escape from all that. I'd just die not to gamble a big gamble - something natural, something you could touch and grasp. Plus I was in love deeply, was completely hooked on the apparatus itself. Just the sheer presence of electricity in large doses has always made me feel real comfortable and calm, especially the way a very large amplifier with an instrument plugged into it will push air, the way the speakers push air - that's basically what amps do, they push the air and push me too. And even just the beauty of the microphones appealed to me. And the beat of the drums. It was like, I gotta get out of here, I gotta get out of here. I hate this life! I hate everything about it! I can't live with it. It hurts me. I feel odd around these people, and music is the only place to hide. The refuge, really.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this is a rarity I think - at least I've tried and failed to find a copy of it on more than one occasion in recent years. Thanks so much. I know you can't see my hat but I'm doffing it all the same, and if you could see how magnificent the hat is that I've picked out just for this particular doff you'd be well pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, Henry Rollins reissued it, I think in the mid/late 90s, copies are going on Amazon for $24.

      Delete
  2. thanks for the post (I really am a stooge at heart).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Rick. I have a few more Iggy/Stooges bios I may get round to scanning at some point.
      all the best,
      Johnny.

      Delete