Feminism and androgyny and transvestitism were in the air


epub or mobi, with thanks to the original sharer

People talk about how bad-off the U.S. was economically in those years of the seventies and how filthy and crime-ridden New York was. It’s true, but my friends and I in the East Village didn’t know any better, and terms like “recession” and “stock market” were meaningless to us. The streets of the city were smelly with both garbage—sanitation workers were striking—and dog shit (the scoop law wasn’t passed until 1978). On the Lower East Side, people assumed their apartments would be burglarized every two or three years. Many buildings and sometimes whole blocks in the area were burned out and abandoned, others staked by squatters. Drug-dealing gangs ruled districts. Sidewalks for blocks would be matted with blankets of housewares and junk peddled by the jobless. It was a slum, but it was where we wanted to live because it was cheaper than anywhere else while also hosting the best bookstores and movies and drugs and people and music.

Our band had to figure out where to play next. I’d noticed how the Dolls had associated themselves with a particular venue. If a band always played the same nights at the same place, it was easier for them to build a following, since anyone interested would always know where to find them. There were plenty of nasty, hungry little joints around.

12 comments:

  1. Do you have have either of these ebooks to share? Thanks! Rebecca Davis, "Blind Owl Blues: The Mysterious Life and Death of Blues Legend Alan Wilson
    OR
    Fito De La Parra, Living The Blues. Canned Heat's story of Music, Drugs, Death, Sex and Survival (2000)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tori, unfortunately I don't. If I come across them I'll post them for you.
    all the best,
    Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks as always for posting...just got caught up on a big stack of AYP must-reads, so this comes at a perfect time...and it's got great reviews, so hopefully it'll deliver on all fronts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. And please come back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will resume posting at some point, Korla, I just don't have the time for scanning, proofreading etc at the moment.
    all the best,
    Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, Johnny. Hopefully you'll find the time and desire to come back before too long. I think I can speak for the crowd of anonymous users when I say that we've come to look forward to your posts and really appreciate all the hard work you do here. Thank you for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's good to know, Johnnyq! Just wanted to let you know, that i miss your inspiring posts. There's enough interesting stuff here, that i haven't read yet anyway, so keep your time. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Johnny,

    Just echoing Korla & Christopher's comments in saying, as always, thanks, and that here's hoping that one day you'll be back.

    Until then, be well.

    Jeff McKee
    Richmond, Va.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss you Johnny. Hope all's well in your life.
    Cheers, JW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, would love to have this book - but links are dead, it seems... Thx in advance for re-upping!

    ReplyDelete