rhyming speedfreak who introduced every song as 'The Greasy Chicken'


pdf (256 pages/83MB) with thanks to the original sharer

When looking at an album of music you know nothing about, song titles can help—for example: “She’s My Witch,” “I’m Gonna Murder My Baby,” “Mama Keep Your Big Mouth Shut,” and “Evil” are all good song titles, and they are all great songs ... Places with a higher murder or insanity rate usually produced a lot of good music, Memphis and Detroit being two fine examples. Same goes for places with a lot of drunks, like New Orleans and Texas. Eventually you may learn to recognize what gentlemen with beards call “regional styles.” For example, black guitar players from Memphis played too loud through broken speakers; this was good. Drummers from New Orleans were usually drunk and fucked up, so if they couldn’t find the beat they’d just play a march and call it “second line.” ... Pittsburgh’s WAMO boasted the legendary Porky Chadwick—“the daddio of the raddio, a head snapper and dapper rapper, a porkulatin’ platter pushin’ poppa.” He wasn’t “Cary Grant but can do what he can’t” and got his “PhD in insanity at the University of Spinner Sanctum” where he always had a grape in his ear “to make my head ferment.”

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this book once or twice in stores, and for whatever regrettable reason I never picked it up....so I'm psyched to see it here!

    Thanks again for keeping me entertained thru the long, cold NYC winter : )

    ReplyDelete