epub or mobi
'These
knives found on your person could be very useful for opening window catches with,
couldn't they?'
'Could
be very useful for eating yer dinner with as well.'
Dave
stood aggressively in the box. He wore a black suit and a white lawn shirt with
frills down the front. 'And what, may I ask, do you use these wire-clippers and
crowbars for?' The smooth rolling tone of the barrister, sure beyond even cock.
'They're
the tools of me trade, guv'ner. I'm a scrap merchant.'
'Well,
what were they doing in your car?'
'I
collect a lot of junk in me car. Perhaps if you had a car you'd collect junk in
yours too.'
Nobody laughed except Rube
in the gallery, opening wide her eyes and snorting into her pale pink jumper.
'It's that geyser's long grey hair-do making me piss meself.'
Rube
was shrieking, a long, high, animal shriek. The baby was born alive, five
months old. It moved, it breathed, its heart beat. Rube
lay back, white and relieved, across the bed. Sylvie and her mum lifted the
eiderdown and peered at the tiny baby still joined by the cord. 'You can see it
breathing, look!'
Rube smiled. 'It's nothing
- I've had a look meself.'Finally the ambulance arrived. They took Rube away, but they left behind the baby, which had now grown cold. Later Sylvie took him, wrapped in the Daily Mirror, and threw him down the toilet.


No comments:
Post a Comment