the rebellious, the hungry, the weird, and the mad



"Do you know what a beatnik is? Usually some guy who says, "I hate my father. I hate my mother. " So they leave home in Indiana and they come to New York. They write a line of poetry, type it up in a great big expensive five dollar binding book, put it under their arm, put on sandals, grow a little goatee, walk down the street and say they're poets. It's just kind of a fad. It was invented by the press. Listen, I'm a railroad brakeman, merchant marine deckhand in war time. Beatniks don't do those things. They don't work. They don't get jobs."

excerpts from various interviews, gets a bit confused/confusing at times with all the catholic/buddhist damage, but some interesting stuff. 

1 comment:

  1. Terry Taylor makes Jack Kerouac look like an uptight alcoholic who couldn’t walk it the way he talked it in On The Road!

    ReplyDelete