The three-hundred-watt garage light suddenly came
on. Standing beneath it with arms folded were my mother and my father, looking
like Joseph and Mother Mary. My father spoke, "You'll never turn this
garage into a bordello!" I nervously shoved Alma toward the latched garage
door but, as I was unlatching it, I received my first bite of the strap Daddy
had brought. Daddy had wasted no time in whipping me and the
fourth impact of the strap changed the pitch of my hum from bass to treble.
Much less than romantic I shouted in pain, "I'll see you later, Alma!"
turned from her and darted away from the next swing of the strap. Mother was
coaching Daddy, as usual, saying, "Lord knows how long he's been doing
this, Henry, he's just getting out of hand."

Still my favorite site on the net. Either it's something that I've been hoping you'd find and post or you pull something out of the ass of the universe and damn if it isn't another of your "never heard of the thing, but if he thinks it's post-worthy, I'll roll with it."
ReplyDeleteAnd so I do and yet again you surprise me with another buried treasure and I am richer for the read.
Sincere thanks
Jeff McKee
Richmond, Va
Glad you like it Jeff
DeleteIf this is the book I read twenty-odd years ago, I found it to be a bit of an "incoherent" read.
ReplyDeleteRev, it was published in '87 so I'd guess it's the same book. I'd say that some of it was "evasive" rather than "incoherent", selective about what he'd reveal, particularly about other people.
Delete