I wanted to be Jack Kerouac and Mick Jagger rolled into one


          I was at the bar and Crocus approached me. Here was the camaraderie we had sought. Here was an underground scene we could be part of, I thought. I extended my hand in friendly greeting.
          "Get your shit off my stage before I throw it off," he said. Later I would learn that the porky prima donna was very conscious of his physical grotesqueness and had developed a personality to match. Much later he became a Jehovah's Witness, knocking unsolicited on people's doors weekend mornings, and that had to have been a real laugh riot. Later still, he developed his drinking problem....Ubu  treated us like shit until we became as popular or more popular than they were. Still, they'd quote Man Ray or Bakunin or Alfred Jarry as though they understood any of it

No comments:

Post a Comment