I just thought that crime novels were crap, you know like Colin Dexter, like crossword puzzles, that I found quite pompous and suddenly there was this book . . . the first thing that hit me was it was so compassionate for this woman who was killed. You know, they’re not normally like that, and such a brilliant description of the fucking bleakness of London and such a strong voice, I was amazed and had had loads of weird nightmares. And I just never met such a brilliant person before. Derek Raymond. He was so fantastic. So intelligent and, for a man in his sixties, so young. Such an enquiring mind. Raged up . . . almost like Johnny Rotten, actually, that rage that fuelled him and the way articulated it. Almost exactly. They almost used the same phrase, the mistreatment of peoples, what made them fucking angry. -C. Unsworth
epub [dead link - see below](199 pages/1MB) with thanks to the original sharer
Noir crime fiction is seen by some as a form of populist agitprop for existentialism. While Camus and Sartre took over the left bank, it was the Noir writers who were on sale in every news-agent. It is only natural to read Raymond’s book as a continuation of this de facto intellectual alliance, but I would argue that Raymond’s take on existentialism is almost diametrically opposed to that of Sartre, Camus, Kafka or Marcel.-Ruthless Culture
new zip of Raymond titles:
http://www69.zippyshare.com/v/2uUkPlFx/file.html
new zip of Raymond titles:
http://www69.zippyshare.com/v/2uUkPlFx/file.html


The heavily abridged audio version is here : http://www.mediafire.com/?8y9o6azd3a9ts2g (m4a files)
ReplyDeleteGreat books. Thank you so much.
ReplyDeleteKorla, three more of his 'factory' novels here: https://app.box.com/s/ghgsj5qo45t6usd9rwiq at some point I will try & scan his autobio & the other titles he published as Robin Cook but I have a backlog of stuff scanned to try & get time to proofread at the moment.
ReplyDeleteall the best,
Johnny
So great! After finishing these two books i returned desperatly to this post to beg you for more books of the factory-series, just to find they are already here! Can't believe my luck, can't thank you enough. I would have never give Raymond a look, if i wouldn't have find him here. There are so many disappointments in the crime genre. Raymond is one of the few exceptions. Best dialogs i've read for a long while. Thanks again.
DeleteAnd of course i'm looking forward to his autobiografie. Thanks again for all your efforts.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete