trick was to get all that crazy fun we had backstage out to the public

                                                       
 epub new link 15/2/12 (374 pages/3MB) with thanks to the original sharer

My partner in these endeavors, Hal Zeiger, assured me he had greased the cops, so there shouldn't be any problems. But certain church and parent groups had begun making noises about the negative effects of R&B music on the young. We were informed that they would be sending a large committee to monitor the affair. I knew where the group was seated, and during the dance, I kept an anxious eye on them hoping they would approve. We almost never had fights or disturbances at dances, but with 3,000 or 4,000 exuberant kids, we just prayed that everything would go smoothly. I brought Chuck Berry on, and the crowd cheered. I glanced up in the balcony where the protectors of teenage morality were seated, and they seemed to be smiling. Then Chuck Berry blasted forth with: 
          
          We did it in the kitchen . . .
          We did it in the hall . . .
          I got some on my finger . . .
         And I wiped it on the wall. 

The kids squealed with delight. Holy shit!

No comments:

Post a Comment