I was crawlin’, damn near gettin’ undressed. I had the little girls goin’


 pdf [new link 05/6/14] (331 pages/2MB) with thanks to the original sharer

At New York’s Apollo Theater, the amateur night audience was so tough, “they would boo their own mama off the stage,” according to Rufus Thomas. “But they weren’t as tough as Memphis.” There were one-legged dancers, jugglers, comics, glass eaters, and blues singers of all ages and ilk. If the audience did not like the performer, they threw paper bags in winter, tomatoes in summer. No simple hook like the Apollo; if the would-be star was booed and pelted and still would not give up, the audience would raise such an uproar that the “Lord High Executioner” would leap from the wings and shoot him with a pearl-handled revolver. Usually one blank shot would do it, but the Executioner would not hesitate to empty his gun if necessary to remove the reluctant amateur.

6 comments:

  1. OMG you're causing me to stay up late far too many nights... and I can't thank you enough for your generosity.

    You're on a roll of unprecedented momentum.

    Don't stop

    Jeff McKee
    Richmond VA

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just found ur site via willards..this is great stuff..thanx!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Glass Eaters & Blues Singers"!!! Man,I can't wait to read this one.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stumbled upon your place after the two MUs went down... So glad to see you bringing all the dead links back to life. Love the place, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this site! Any chance a new link could be posted? Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon, have just put a new link in the main post.
      all the best,
      Johnny

      Delete