a new class of street hustlers and hippies, flush with disposable income.

 
epub or mobi, with thanks to the original sharer

Peter Meaden and I always had a friendly competition going so he was particularly eager I see “his” band. Peter had influenced me to venture from my mother’s comfortable Hampstead enclave into the dangerous and exciting world of Soho. As Peter tried out his most outrageous hype on me I noticed an attractive couple in the audience who divided their watchful attention between the group and Meaden. When I asked Meaden if he knew the pair with the hungry eyes, he dismissed them as a couple of “film ponces.” You might even stretch a point and speculate that in many ways the Who had more in common with Peter Meaden than they did their newly adopted minders. But it was no matter. Peter could never have managed to complete a marathon and spent the rest of his short life butterflying from project to project, fueled by pills, and never totally in touch with reality.

2 comments:

  1. great one! no part one or two? (Stoned and 2Stoned) Old Loog Oldham is A GAS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Oldham's take on the Immediate Records era will hopefully be interesting.

    ReplyDelete