Among the young, such behaviour is now as common as smoking reefers


epub or mobi, with thanks to the original sharer

My Irish friend had disappeared some time back, but the Scotsman and the girl still kept in touch with me. My chief function in their lives was, when either of them was in jail, to keep them in touch with each other without the prison governor being apprised of any address but mine. This was how the police managed to establish a connection between them and me, and (probably when the young man failed to report to his probation officer) they called on me to ask for his address. I did not give it to them. I held the opinion that however low a man sinks he never reaches the level of the police. I and many of the thieves, prostitutes and other social outcasts who were my friends resorted to some very dodgy expedients in order to stay alive, but only the police habitually grovelled for their wages in the excrement of the world. The rest of us, however clumsily, however over-hastily, reached out towards life and love. Only the police trafficked exclusively in darkness and death. 'If you go on like this,' my visitor warned me, 'you will be charged with harbouring undesirables.' I pointed out that if my Scottish friend had been undesirable I might not have bothered. The interview came to an abrupt end.

4 comments:

  1. #free #today https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trafficking-Sexual-December-Dav-Crabes-ebook/dp/B01JKQ1QU2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunno what that link above is about - goes to some weird looking book with a description that makes less sense than a WSB cut-up.

    But: totally psyched to read THIS! Never really knew who CC was, but a quick Wiki skim tells me this is gonna be fun and funny. That, coupled with the fact that you have impeccable taste in books, is the best recommendation of ever.

    Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Do you have any Grateful Dead, such as "Grateful Dead FAQ" to share? Thank you! Atium

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mum & my sister had autographed copies of this book. QC came to Australia back in the 1970s and apparently he was big news in the academic circles. My mum & sister knew of him so went to meet him and bought copies of this book. Some years later I read the book and enjoyed it. So I'm looking forward to having another read now....Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete