pdf (56 pages / 132 MB), with many thanks to the original sharer
Things went from 35mm to the full 70mm in issue
15 with 'Mutant Monster Beach Party'. It was filmed in photographs and featured
Debbie Harry as The Beach Bunny and Joey Ramone as the surfer boy. "Joey
helped write scenes in 'Mutant Monster Beach Party' he wrote the scene where a
UFO picks him up and takes him to the bikers. He also wrote some of the lyrics for
the theme song. He ended up using them later on in Danny Says, 'You can't go
surfing because it is twenty below." This example of paper cinema featured
a host of guest stars appearing as themselves, including Andy Warhol, John Cale,
Lester Bangs and various members of Blondie, the Patti Smith Group, Dictators
and Voidoids. Great fun, although it totally bombed when it came to sales. "'Monster
Mutant Beach Party' pretty much put us out of business. Both photo story issues
were our worst sellers. We put them out there and nobody bought them. They are
our most popular issues now, but at the time they were too radical even for our
readers."

I just realised I haven't thanked nearly enough for these great reads, its so easy to click and move to the next tab so thank you very much. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteCheers Marlon
I gotta agree with marlon: Thanks, thanks, thanks!!
ReplyDeleteHi Johnny,
ReplyDeleteI'm awfully curious about 'The History of Rock' magazines that I've somehow managed to miss completely (especially 1964-1965, but earlier ones as well). Have you come across any PDF versions in your travels on the internet? If you do, could you point me in the right direction?
Thanks so much!
Hi Sylvie,
DeleteHere's 65: http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/zQlGRk81/file.html & 66: http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/8hEElspH/file.html If I come across any more I'll put them up.
all the best,
Johnny
WOW!!! Johnny!!!! I didn't expect this at all. Thanks so very much!
ReplyDeleteThank you once again for making my subway commutes actually enjoyable. I literally stayed an extra stop on the train Friday just to keep reading this. Keep up the great work!!
ReplyDelete