“I’d rather be blind than to see some of the things I have seen.”


epub or mobi, with thanks to the original sharer

Many psychologists and psychiatrists have interviewed, examined and tested Harold. While they disagree on the causative factors in his case, all are in accord on the diagnosis of psychopathic personality. One psychiatrist, questioning him closely on his sex habits, obtained an admission of masturbation and sexual relations with girls in the neighborhood. On his arrival in the institution where the writer made his acquaintance, the psychiatric initial summary revealed: “… a recidivist whose attitude toward officials and fellows is poor … During interview he presents the picture of a sullen, resentful, weak-willed, gullible, fidgety youth … enjoys using the language of the underworld and frequently lapses into gangland lingo when describing his escapades … Prognosis for institutional adjustment and rehabilitation is guarded.”


I never liked to go to church. When I was at St. A—— School they made us go to church in the mornings and in the afternoons. Many times I said I was going to church but didn’t go. One time my father saw me out in the street when I was supposed to be in church and when I got home he gave me a beating. The sisters used to assign lessons and if you didn’t have them done you would get whipped in the hand, and they forced you to kneel before a statue of the Virgin, in the dirt. I remember the priest used to have a crooked cane. One time he got a fellow with the cane around the neck and drew him close and then beat him up bad. My mother and grandmother and sister used to make me go to church even though I hated it. I told my mother that it was all a bunch of lies ...

1 comment: