The nuns in Sunday School were insane, devious, sick sadists.


WATERS: I used to sit in church and imagine explosions, the roof falling in, every horrible thing that could happen ... everybody would say "ARGHH," running out like Gorgo stepping on things . You know? I would fantasize that because I was bored. And they made us stand up and take the Legion Of Decency Pledge that we wouldn't go see these condemned movies. That was the first thing that I refused to do. And that led me to everything. Because every week I looked at the Legion of Decency. I looked at every title - Love Is My Profession, The Bed, Mom and Dad, Naked Night - and I'd think, "God, this is so great."
IVES: Who came up with those lists?
WATERS: Who knows? It was put out every week. They still have it!
IVES: How did they know what was in the movies? Did they go and look at them?
WATERS : Yeah. The Legion of Decency screened them. In the fifties and sixties they ruined Baby Doll. That was the main movie they went after. They were like the rating board now. They still have it, but now "O" for offensive. Condemned is better. You hear that big iron brand hit metal with smoke sizzling out: "Condemned!" I always wanted to be condemned, and I don't think I ever was because they would never even bother submitting my films. I think Polyester was the first one that they ever submitted, and that got a B - morally offensive in part or all. I was really disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment