Chatham is a town of fisticuffs & whoring, working-class conservatives

 
pdf available over at the internet archive
 
“Then Thatcher came in and they told me I had to get a job. So I applied to art school again, and got in and I was supposedly there for a year and a half, but I wasn’t. I was playing music, mainly in Germany. I was doing poetry and painting from home, and my father went into prison for drug-smuggling, and any money that my mother got dried up. So I was expelled for bad attendance and refusing to paint any pictures within the college, writing what they said was ‘obscene’ poetry. And I was running my own little press, putting on our own gigs. My whole point was not to work. That’s why I wanted to be an artist and that’s why I wanted to be a student, and that’s why I wanted to play music – I didn’t want a real job. I worked for six or seven months in the dockyard, one day fruit-picking and four weeks in a mental hospital. Other than that, I did 15 years on the dole, two or three on the self-employed allowance scheme. I’ve never been forced into doing anything I don’t want to do. Every mistake I’ve ever made is my fault.”

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you've noticed that we are re-upping your Mambo and Bo sets. I'm surprised at all the DL for them again. I guess many people missed them the first time out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If folks want them, that's cool, after re-uploading them a few times for people over the last couple of years (is it really that long???) I don't have them myself anymore (lost some - deleted some - replaced some with lossless rips etc) If I get time over the next week or two maybe I can put together another Mambo for you.
      all the best,
      Johnny

      Delete
  2. Thanks Johnny Q - I know that a new volume would go over big time with the music lovers at Twilightzone. I would love it as well!

    ReplyDelete