Crazed intensity marked his appearances in the early and mid 60s


pdf (114 pages / 12MB), with thanks to the original sharer

Charlie Fach, the head of Smash Records, later asserted that Mercury had not been coerced into signing Linda Gail. "It wasn't a 'buy the rum to get the bourbon' deal. I thought she was a good country singer – as good as any girl in country music. Radio wouldn't accept her, though. She lived the same veil-of-tears life that every country girl sings about and she was especially big in Texas. She did well in all the pisspots down there - Panther Hall and so on. What amazed me, though, was the way she married everyone in the damn band - sometimes more than once, I think. One time she just moved across the hall to her new husband. It seemed as though everything to do with Jerry Lee Lewis was unbelievable. One time I remember I persuaded Gene Shepherd, who was a top writer for Playboy, to follow Jerry Lee around for a while and write a story. He called me later and told me that Playboy had turned the piece down. The only piece of his they'd ever rejected. They thought he was making it up."

No comments:

Post a Comment