“I didn’t like going to the
morgue,” Willis says. “It was an awful place.” For ages there had been threats to shut the morgue down—plans for condemning
or moving the facilities. Time and again they got out of it with improvement
schemes, but nothing was done. “There were other changes going on in the city,
but a lot of things were staying the way they’d been—pockets were being filled
and the dead weren’t going to kick.” Rooms opened off halls that were
filled with deputy coroners drinking coffee, joking, and talking, while in some
rooms the bodies were stacked two and three deep— “stacked up like cord wood,”
Willis says. “I once had a judge order a check on a particular decedent in a
case, and a deputy took me into one room and dumped one body off the other like
you’d roll logs to get to the one on the bottom. I never found the right
corpse. When we left the place he didn’t bother to stack them back up again,
but left them where he’d turned them over looking for the one I needed. Guys at funeral parlors griped that bodies were sent over half the time
without being sewn up or put back in shape. Sometimes body parts
were put in wax paper—especially with traffic fatalities— or put into boxes for
the independent undertakers. I remember one incident where the face was still
folded back over the top of the head, which they’d sawed through, and the body
was sent out like that, with the wife and relatives waiting for it at the other
end.”

Gilmore is such a great writer & knowing what I do about LA (having lived there for 15 yrs) he makes me realize that the seediness of life out there is never gonna be paved over or gentrified. The soul of that city is just black and sad. Anyway - thanks for posting & would love to see more of his work!
ReplyDeleteHeyS&S - more Gilmore coming over the next few days or so - I don't have any of his novels though, if anyone else does, contributions are always welcome. Johnny.
ReplyDeletehis best, which is saying something.
ReplyDeleteTHE Skip Heller?
DeleteWOW!
All readers are strongly advised to get hold of Skip's spoken word w/ musical accompaniment collaboration with Mr. Gilmore featuring excerpts from 'Severed' & 'Laid Bare' etc - Great stuff.