The
only white people you ever saw down there were the people who came to buy
bootleg beer or whiskey. But Slaton’s a small town, and I could hear this music
through my window coming from this place a few blocks away called the Black and
Tan Café. So I’d sneak out my window and go through
the alleys and the back roads and sit outside this place and listen to the
music. I’d just sit out there in the parking lot and listen to the music. I
remember the smell of that place - it was like whiskey and sweat. There was a lot to see in that parking lot, too.
Slaton was a dry city, no alcohol sold, so the only booze available was bootleg
beer or whiskey, and there was a bootlegger right next to the Black and Tan.
Every once in a while I’d see a big ol’ Buick or a big ol’ Oldsmobile pull up
there to the window, flash its lights, and, by golly, hell, that’s ol’ Joe T.!
Why, he’s the drugstore owner and a deacon in the church! I’d see some of the
so-called respected city fathers and captains of industry of Slaton down there
associating with this element that was completely taboo. Not only that, they
were buying alcohol. And I thought, Man, somethin’ ain’t right. I was always being told, “Don’t
ask, don’t do it, it’s wrong,” and “If you do it you’re gonna die and go to
hell!” and then I’d see the same people who told me not to do
it doing it themselves.

No comments:
Post a Comment