The early songs, well, what would we write about—girls? We didn’t really
have any. We weren’t artists or anything, so we wrote about simple things that
we could relate to. We thought Communists and Nazis were funny. We thought
sniffing glue was funny too, but we didn’t even know that people were still
doing it. We’d write these songs and laugh, but we never thought we were wacky.
We thought we were a normal rock band; but it soon became apparent we were a
little off-kilter. People have asked me, “What makes a punk?” After we’d
retired, I was driving in Los Angeles, and somebody called out to me, “Hey, you’re
driving a Cadillac. How’s that? How are you a punk if you’re driving a
Cadillac?” I said, “What the fuck are you talking about? I wrote the book on
punk. I decide what’s punk. If I’m driving a Cadillac, it’s punk.”

great great great book.....a super fun and easy read and some great stories from a legendary guy.....a must read whether you like the Ramones or not, and some interesting observations from a very conservative man in a not-very-conservative line of work...great post and awesome blog!
ReplyDelete