“I had a very serious talk with Jerry about his image. We went to the
restaurant next door to the studio and sat down in a booth. Jerry had one of
his pickers with him. He always had someone with him. You could rarely get him
one-on-one. I told him what I thought we should do, in as much detail as I
thought he could absorb in one sitting. I wanted to get him out of typical rock
’n’ roll regalia. Ivy League was in. I wanted him to get a crewcut. I wanted to
hold a press conference where Jerry would announce that he was somewhat remorseful.
He would take on an adult image. We discussed it for over an hour. Jerry was
very polite and listened. He would nod every once in a while, but he kept
looking at his watch. Finally, he shook it like it wasn’t working and he looked
at his buddy across the table and said, ‘What time is it?’ The guy said, ‘It’s
five before one.’ Jerry said, ‘Oh! The double feature at the Strand starts in
five minutes. It’s Return of the Werewolf
and The Bride of Frankenstein Meets
Godzilla. Then he jumped up and left the table. That was the last time we
discussed Jerry’s image.”

No comments:
Post a Comment