epub or mobi, with thanks to the original sharer
A strange word: funk. It meant
the smell of sex to New Orleans musicians. It was the stench of something
filthy—a bum rolling in the gutter, Earl Palmer said. Whatever else it meant,
in the music it was a repository for unclean feelings, for stuff proper folks
kept locked in their subconscious. Connor had his definition, one that he got
from watching dancers. “Funk is imagination. You can see a big fat woman
walking down the way, she’s got a big booty sliding side to side, doing the
jellyroll. You
look at their behinds, that’s where I got my rhythm style. I would look at the
dance floor, at some woman shaking her butt, and I would boom—do three or four measures of my stuff—then I’d watch her body
language.”
epub or mobi, with thanks to the original sharer
There’s
a bootleg audience recording of James Brown playing at the University of
Virginia fieldhouse in Charlottesville on March 12, 1965. It’s muffled and
spotty; the horn section is barely audible; the microphone is distorting. But
you can hear JB loud and clear. He starts the 45-minute set with “Out of Sight,”
singing nice and tough. Halfway through “Prisoner of Love,” though, something comes over him,
and he starts screaming so hard that
the microphone is quaking under his voice. For most of the next half-hour, he’s
howling, possessed, spraying blood. Even the crooned parts of “Lost Someone”
sound like they’ve been dragged over miles of gravel. Listening to it, you
realize: when he recorded LATA, he knew he was being recorded, and he held back, so he wouldn’t overload the
microphone and get distortion all over the recording, because then Syd Nathan
would never let him put it out. Live at
the Apollo, my friends—Live at the
Apollo is the sound of James Brown holding
back.


Thanks as always for posting more interesting items for the ol' eyes.
ReplyDeleteAnd: I'd like to see more of the 33 1/3rd series (please!) I've avoided these books before (kinda seem like they're all pompous chin waxing?) but "Live At The Apollo" has me wanting to read more...
Hey S&S, I know what you're sayin', Got digital copies of a few of them (Love, VU, Kinks, Madness, here: https://app.box.com/s/17bv963z9kof3y1fn5l0 ) but they don't exactly keep you glued to the page.
ReplyDeleteThanks for those Johnny, they're worth a quick look if you're into the band / album but shittily written / edited / researched for the most part - these nobodies want to blab about themselves and their little pet subjects way too much. On the other hand, am enjoying The One greatly so far - thanks!!
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
ReplyDelete