Just kids out looking for kicks, and not worried about how hip they look


epub or mobi, with thanks to the original sharer

‘‘I’d always wanted to dig the song, but I never permitted myself to because I thought there was a real distinction between rock ’n’ roll artists, musical workmen, and these fly-by-nights like the Count Five and the groups that played at the dances I went to. Eventually I realized that everybody steals their material and is heavily influenced by just about everybody else, and my tastes began to change radically. I suddenly found it an effort to listen to the more ‘arty’ rock (Beatles, Beach Boys, Jefferson Airplane) and that I much preferred the hard crude sound of groups like the Seeds, the Fugs, the Who, etc. And when I would go to dances and hear local teenagers, school friends of mine even—non-heads even!—turn around in the middle of ‘I’m a Man’ and roll off on a thirty-minute electric raga, plasticizing the beat, crouching in front of their amps for feedback, and knocking me out, really turning me on more than anything on record, that was when I finally was enlightened.’’

No comments:

Post a Comment