On a live show, there was no tape to edit in advance, no way to stop him from perpetrating some midnight madness.As Ghoulardi became a sensation, management could not risk killing the show, but they kept trying to rein it in. "Every Monday, Ernie was up on the carpet-'You'd better not do this again,'" said Schodowski. Soinski once asked Ernie if he ever sought permission for his wilder stunts.Ernie's reply: "Oh, no. I don't ask for permission because if I did, they'd tell me don't do it. If I wasn't sure about it, they certainly wouldn't allow me to do it. If I ever did anything they didn't appreciate, they'd tell me 'Don't do that again', but meanwhile I've had it on the air."

And the hits just keep on coming...
ReplyDeleteMan, your choice of titles is as sublime as it is eclectic.
It's one thing to go to the library with a specific book in mind, it's another to have a friend whose taste in all things pop culture is second to none make a book selection for you.
I regard you as that friend and, although it's impossible for you to know me and to be spot on target when it comes to suggesting books that will pique my interest, I've come to trust your instincts and have discovered some fabulous reading material thanks to you and your terrific blog.
Years ago I had a late night TV show of my own in Orlando, Florida. I made the effort to reach out to Ernie Anderson in an effort to pick his brain and learn more about what it was that I was attempting to accomplish.
The man was gracious, giving me much more time than I would have believed. I didn't know that this book existed and I look forward to reading it starting tonight.
Keep up the great work and as always, thanks.
Jeff McKee
Richmond, Va.
Hey Jeff, run that one by me again - you met Ghoulardi!!!? Wow! The book's fine but I gotta admit after years of Crampsian fantasies about the guy running through my head I found it a little bit mild.
ReplyDeleteAlso,I'm trying to reupload a lot of the old mega/multiupload posts that recently died but I found that I didn't keep the digital copies of Ungawa mag issues 2,3&4 do you happen to have them?
all the best,
Johnny